Iowa Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iowa Gamers

Trading Cards, Gaming, ect.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trigger effects and passing priority

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shawn W
Admin
Shawn W

Number of posts : 1087
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Trigger effects and passing priority Empty
PostSubject: Trigger effects and passing priority   Trigger effects and passing priority EmptySun Apr 29, 2007 1:15 pm

Let's say I summon a monster like Exiled Force or Snipe Hunter (monsters with trigger effects). The summon is successful, and I choose not to use priority to activate their effect. Can my opponent activate cards that are not used in response to a summon, like Ring of Destruction or Enemy Controller? I think that it is not allowed because it would be like chaining to a summon. But the rulebook states that when priority is passed, the opponent has a chance to respond. Please enlighten me on this matter.

When you pass priority, your opponent can respond to the Summon with any Quick-Play Spell or Trap Card that can be legally activated, whether or not it is specifically meant to be used in response to a Summon.

So, in the scenario you described, activating "Trap Hole", "Torrential Tribute", "Ring of Destruction", or "Enemy Controller" would all be legal, as the activation timing is correct. For that matter, "Ring of Destruction" and "Enemy Controller" don't have specific activation timing; that is, they can be activated at any time as long as they've been Set for at least a turn, and as long as there's a legal target on the field.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's an example:

Player A Normal Summons "Exiled Force" successfully.
Player A passes priority without activating its Ignition Effect.
Player B activates "Ring of Destruction", selecting "Exiled Force" as the target.

Assuming no other cards are activated, the chain resolves like this (remember, "Exiled Force"'s Ignition Effect is Spell Speed 1 and cannot be used to chain):

Chain Link 1 resolution: "Ring of Destruction"'s effect resolves, destroying "Exiled Force".

I hope this helps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Okegawa
UDE Forums Moderator
Back to top Go down
http://www.tempestgames.net/

Trigger effects and passing priority
Page 1 of 1